Recreational Rockhounding is defined as the Non-Commercial collecting of Rocks, Minerals and Fossils, according to established laws, rules and regulations, for personal and educational use, see:
Part 8365 of Title 43 CFR [Code of Federal Regulations], which provides for the collecting of “reasonable quantities” of rocks, minerals, semiprecious gemstones, and invertebrate and plant fossils of non-scientific importance, for personal use.
Legal Definition of Recreational Rockhounding as defined in Title 43 CFR.......
(1) Commonly available renewable resources such as flowers, berries, nuts, seeds, cones and leaves;
(2) Nonrenewable resources such as rock and mineral specimens, common invertebrate and common plant fossils, and semiprecious gemstones;
(3) Petrified wood as provided under subpart 3622 of this title;
(4) Mineral materials as provided under subpart 3604; and
(5) Forest products for use in campfires on the public lands. Other collection of forest products shall be in accordance with the provisions of Group 5500 of this title.
(c) The collection of renewable or nonrenewable resources from the public landsfor sale or barter to commercial dealers may be done only after obtaining a contract or permit from an authorized officer in accordance with part 3600 or 5400 of this chapter.